Wednesday 1 January 2020

My new year day over the years

Today is 1st of Jan 2020. Most of the people of the world are celebrating the New years day - Last night, many of my friends partied hard, some of my friends are on their vacation to exotic places, some of the folks threw lavish dinners. For a few like me we stayed at home, life going on as usual. Yes, I did make a few calls to the people I value most in my life wishing them the best in the year to come. But other than that, when I introspect and after seeing all facebook posts and instagram updates, do I have FOMO(the millenial word for fear of missing out)? Thankfully, no. I am happy to be where I am with what I have. 

I was chatting with my husband how New year day used be when we were younger - when we were in school, college, beginning of employment and were musing over how New years day celebration has changed over years.

When I was in school, New years day used to fall during winter vacation. Most of the first 10 years of my life, my parents took me to our native place, in remote Tamil Nadu, where I would have the best of holidays with my cousins. It used to be the get together time for the entire family. I don't recall wishing anyone happy new year in the first 10-12 years of my life(please ignore my first 6 years- I was too young to remember them).

Next phase is when I entered my teens. That was the time,when I had started reading a lot of books and my awareness of the outside world began to widen - thanks to Enid Blyton books and various comics and magazines. That was also the time when greeting cards started appearing in the small town I grew up in. Some well off kids used to give the teachers New year greeting cards after the vacation at school. For those like me who do not know where to acquire them, in order to feel not left out, I started painting beautiful pictures and turned them to greeting cards to give them to teachers. That was new year for me - no celebrations, not at home , not in the town. I do not know if my other classmates celebrated New year. For all I know, everyone celebration Ugadi- the Telugu New year, not the Calendar New year. During 9th- 10th standard, I knew where to buy the greeting cards and bought them depending on the spare pocket money left. Else, the painted cards continued for the New year and most of the Indian festivals like Sankranti, Deepavali etc. Being south Indian,we did not celebrate Holi.

After school, during my intermediate college, graduation days, the New year was a time when greeting cards were purchased in advance with fervor, addressed and posted. I used to receive a few from my friends and cousins too, some of which I still am holding on to. On New years day, we meet up in someones' house , chit chat and hand exchange greeting cards. That was the celebration.

Then after graduation, I moved to Chennai - the circle of friends grew; new friends with new ideas got added. Night show movie plans, mid night beach plans were made. But since I was staying in a hostel which had a cut-off time of 9.30 p.m, I just used to listen to the stories of what my friends did on New years eve. 

After taking up employment, in the initial few years, every day was fun,every weekend was a celebration - be it with friends or alone. If with friends, used to go on drives, try different restaurents. If alone, binge watch movies or read books with pizza, coke , potato chips and many other junk food. Did not really miss celebrating New year.

After marriage, New year became a time to make new resolutions, have a scoreboard of last years resolutions and evaluate how many of them were achieved, catch up with friends, binge on good food.

Past few years - New years day became just one more day in life. And I am  absolutely fine with that.

Now coming to my husbands New years celebration - during his school and college days, it was the day of picnic - when family and friends get together to catch-up on happening of others life. Since most of them were in public sector, the public holidays were the time when they look forward to meet the family and friends. Being the time when landline  phones where limited and public transport was not that great, catching up could happen only on those days. They used to go to some place closer to jungle with a good water source with all the equipment and ingredients required for cooking. It was a communal cooking, serving and eating. All good anecdotes are shared, games played, playful teasing done - everyone had a good time and everyone used to look forward to it. He misses those picnics in Bangalore.

New year day nowadays has become a big market. It has become a big event with event managers being engaged, party costumes designed, venues being selected, fat entrance fee being paid and big lavish parties with food , dance and booze being organised in various places in the city.In our own society, the community hall is decorated with innumerable balloons, glitter paper, lights, and all the other party decoration, There is ban on use of plastic and everyone is advised to use reusable cutlery, cups and plates. I dont know why balloons and other plastic based decorations are not banned. I feel they do cause an equal damage to the environment.

Over the years, I feel the idea of having a good time has changed. It has become more of a social pressure than actually have a good time. But if you cut out the FOMO, the basics good things in life still persist - tasty food, meeting/chatting with friends, good books, good movies, playing a game, listening to music, visiting interesting places, praying to God. So what is your pick?


No comments:

Post a Comment